Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Big Issue of Modesty

I've been reading so much lately about modesty, on facebook, on blogs, pretty much every where you look someone is talking about this major issue that has suddenly come into the public's eye. This is mostly due to a video called the Evolution of the Swimsuit. Check it out if you haven't yet.


So far, I've seen a few different views on modesty and this video:

  1. Wear what you want, when you want. Women are not responsible for men's thoughts and shouldn't dress a certain way just so that they can control themselves better.
  2. The way women dress plays a central role on the purity of men's thoughts when they are around women and therefore, we should be as modest as possible to help them control themselves. 
  3. Telling women that they should cover up for men is telling those men that it is okay to objectify women based on their clothing. 
Here is MY view.

Anyone who tries to say that what we wear as women has no effect on men needs to check themselves into a mental facility, because let's face it, it does! And let's also face the fact that we dress immodestly because we WANT that attention. We want every guy to turn his head when we walk past, to desire us. Say what you will but as a culture we have developed this idea that to be valued, we must be desired. Yes, that is a view that we are working on, and hopefully someday will overcome. But for now, I don't care who you are, you want to be wanted, whether it's by every boy or by one special boy. 

Example?

What do you put on the night of your honeymoon? There is nothing more gratifying than slipping on a sexy little piece of nothing and making your husband go gaga, am I right? It feels GREAT to be sexy. There's a certain sense of power you get from that knowledge, power over men. You know you can get your husband to do anything for you when you're walking around the house with just an apron on...and there's nothing wrong with that (when it's your spouse you are doing it for).

That being said, we don't always dress immodestly just for the guys. Sometimes, it's out of convenience. It's a hot day and man those little shorts and strapless top are sure looking good right now. Perhaps you're exercising and wearing just a sports bra and some shorts. Let me tell you, guys check out girls who are running dressed like this. Does it mean that those women are purposely trying to turn on every guy who drives by? No. But do we have a responsibility to dress appropriately? Absolutely.

This is coming from the perspective of a Christian and a Latter-day Saint, so you all might not agree with me. 

I BELIEVE IN MODESTY. I will teach my daughter modesty. I will dress modestly, ALWAYS. Why? It isn't because of men, and it sure as hell isn't because I don't have a sense of self worth and appreciation for my body. It's simply because God has asked it. We are made in God's image and have been blessed with these bodies that have so many abilities and so much potential. I'm not going to disrespect God by letting my boobs hang out just because I've got'em. I respect myself too much to parade myself around. I also simply feel uncomfortable when dressed immodestly. Do I sometimes want to wear a little bikini, or a short dress, or a low cut shirt? 

Yes I do, but when I look honestly at the reasons why it really truly is because I think I'd look sexy or attractive, and sure, I WANT to turn heads. Who doesn't? C'mon women, don't kid yourself. Don't hide behind "what men think isn't my problem." 

What if men walked around with their pants down and their penis hanging out with just the tip of it covered??

Would you be comfortable? Would you agree if they said, "well, just don't look" or "I'm proud of my body and should be able to show it."? Would you be able to have a conversation with them without thinking about that partially clad penis flapping out in the open? How is that any different from wearing an itsy bitsy bikini? Wear what you like, I don't care! But don't sit here and tell me it isn't because you want guys to notice, even if it's just your husband's eyes you want to attract. 

The basic fact is: MEN WILL BE AFFECTED BY WHAT YOU WEAR. period. end of story. it's how it is. it's a basic biological response ladies, get over it. I, personally, don't want to be the reason some guy is super uncomfortable in my presence. I don't want to be hanging out with some married friends with my breasts pushed up to their maximum capacity and voluptuously protruding from my skimpy top. Guess what, another husband other than mine would notice. Would that make him a perv? NO! He's noticing what is put up for display. How is that fair to him, or to his wife? 

And don't start saying, "she doesn't support the empowerment of women...she doesn't support women's rights....blah blah blah." because I do. I also believe that MEN have rights as well. I believe in HUMAN rights. If you feel like the only way to empower yourself is to dress immodestly, like you're sticking it to the man or something, then that's just sad. 

Is it really that big of a deal to wear a higher neck line? Or to wear your shorts just a little bit longer? I don't think so. I have big boobs, and sometimes, they can be really noticeable. When I was prego and right after I had my baby, they were ginormous. Seriously...the first thing anyone said to me was, "Holy crap your boobs are huge!" There's only so much I can do, but I do what I can. And that doesn't mean I'm dressing like a nun either. It's perfectly possible to dress in style and modestly as well...even though at this point I'm pretty much wearing pajama pants all day! My husband has even told me that it is so much easier to talk to a girl who is dressed modestly because your thoughts are on the conversation, and learning about that person, not on her cleavage. Men think about sex ALL THE TIME. If you are married, you know that. Who's husband isn't constantly trying to feel you up?? So it's pretty understandable that if you are showing your boobs, he's going to be thinking about touching them and having sex. That's not degrading men, and it's not making them out to be weak. It's biology people. So don't freak out if you dress scantily and get some male attention, because in his eyes, that's what you want...why else would you tantalize him this way?

If you don't want that attention...then don't dress like that. Easy. Simple. 

I just hate hearing, "wear whatever you want as long as you're proud of your body." or "if what you wear gives men inappropriate thoughts then they are sexist and objectifying you." 

Your clothes can and do define you, like it or not. We express ourselves through what we wear. If you are going to dress immodestly, don't make it okay by saying that you are doing it just because you are proud of your body, or as they say on Fired Up, "You can piss on my face, just don't tell me it's raining."own up to it.

You dress like this


because it's fashionable, sexy, and simply makes your body look good. Just looking at this picture, what do you get? Your first thought is, wow, this girl is gorgeous and HOT. I want to be like her. You don't think, wow, she really has a lot of self-respect and a love for God. She may have these things, but that's not the first thing you think of. 

Needless to say, when we dress modestly we also want to look beautiful. Yes, you'll have to sacrifice some things, you'll have to look a little different from everyone else at the beach, but in the end, everyone's comfortable. 

When Bryce and I were first dating, we went swimming one night at a hotel. I didn't have a bathing suit with me so my sis loaned me one of her bikinis. I was kind of excited honestly. I hadn't worn a bikini for years and years. I put it on in the hotel changing room...and could barely get myself to walk out the door. I felt SO uncomfortable. I knew I looked good...as was apparent by the admiring gaze of my boyfriend...and I knew that I liked this feeling. But at the same time, it felt so wrong. I didn't want to stand out of the water because I felt so revealed. And I felt like a hypocrite! I haven't worn one since. 

What you wear is your choice, it's a personal choice and no one should be judged by their clothing. But does that mean that I don't appreciate my body or feel pride for it because I choose to wear a one-piece bathing suit? I have just as much pride as any one of you and THAT IS why I choose to dress modestly. I don't have to flaunt it to feel value in it. My body is sacred to me, and I know it's sacred to God. I will treat it like a temple. I will dress my child modestly. It even makes me uncomfortable to put her in a spagetti strap outfit because I want her to always value modesty and to live up to our beliefs. I don't want her to feel like a hypocrite like I once did. 

In other cultures, women wear almost nothing and it's no big deal. This is their culture. It also doesn't mean they don't have self-respect. It's simply tradition.

I'm not going to wear anything I wouldn't wear in front of God. If he came down right now and stood in front of you, would you be comfortable in what you're wearing? That there, my friends, is the real question...and what should be the real concern. 

5 comments:

  1. I love hearing someone choose to dress modestly primarily because of their love for God and because they DO have confidence in their body. I don't think that being confident about your body=dressing immodestly, and I don't think being insecure about your body=dressing immodestly either.
    Women have to realize that their actions will effect men but also know that it's not their sole responsibility to control how a man behaves. It's not our oh-so-noble responsibility to ensure a man's virtue. This will only lead to more guilt and shame for both men and women and that doesn't help anyone progress and come closer to God. Men find women wearing a burka sexy and desirable for goodness sake. You are correct about a mans response to a woman- however she's dressed- being biological. It's just how they are wired but it's not really an excuse either way.
    There is so much talk going on between women on this issue but I think there needs to be more dialogue with men too. Modesty or lack thereof isn't just a women's thing. I don't have kids yet but I believe that we need to raise our children-boys and girls- with a greater understanding of virtue, morality, modesty, sex and self-control.
    Thanks for putting your voice out there and helping to open up the dialogue on this issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, you are right! It isn't our sole responsibility to ensure a man's virtue, but it doesn't hurt us to help them out a little. And it's more about being appropriate than anything. Like I said, if men had their penis's out with a bit of cloth on them we would all be very offended haha I agree that men should get in on this! It's all so focused on them! Personally, I think it should be about dressing for God, not for men

      Delete
  2. I agree with most everything in this post. EXCEPT:

    >> I don't think a woman wearing a bikini is equivalent to a man covering only the tip of his penis. Maybe if we were covering ONLY our nipple? I think it would be more equivalent to a man wearing a speedo.
    >> I'm pretty sure no one talking about modesty these days says that women "have no effect on men." No one is arguing that modesty doesn't affect men. They are just pointing out that we shouldn't dress for the men. Because that is not what modesty is about. You should dress for yourself for God or yourself. Not men.
    >> I also don't think that your story about putting on lingerie for your husband is relevant either. Granted, I haven't had sex yet. But I will tomorrow, and I don't think I'm going to put on lingerie because I love the power I have with wearing it. Ask me in two days, I'll follow up if you don't believe me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia, I want to address each of your points individually.
      1. I can see your point about my analogy. Maybe they are not the same, and yes, a speedo is a lot more similar. But go to Victoria Secret website, look up their bikinis, and tell me that it is not VERY revealing. Basically the nipple IS the only thing covered. And often the vagina is covered just barely and it might even have a g string. And Victoria Secret is a popular place where tons of women buy their bathing suits. Now, I don't judge anyone for wearing a bikini, or for wearing whatever they want for that matter, but if it is okay to wear a little piece of cloth over your breasts and vaginal area, why isn't it okay for men to wear a little piece of cloth on their penis?. You may not agree, but that is just my own personal opinion. But modesty is something both MEN and WOMEN should practice. Guys in speedos make me uncomfortable too!
      2. I guess my point didn't come across clearly on this second issue. I totally agree that women shouldn't dress for men, and I even said that I am modest solely because God has asked me to be. But a nice side affect of modesty is that men are a lot more comfortable and it helps them to keep their thoughts clean. There's nothing wrong with saying that or knowing that. I'm happy that I can help men keep their thoughts pure.
      3. I feel like the lingerie story is VERY relevant. I don't know how it will be for you, but I know for me, I put on lingerie to be sexy...why else would you wear it?? and when you feel sexy, you have a small sense of power, because suddenly you have all the attention. So here's the point I was trying to make...there are a lot of lingerie that are just a bra and panties, pretty simple, not all of it super revealing, some that you could actually wear as underwear. What's the difference between a lingerie bra and panties and a bikini? I'll tell you. One society says you can wear in public, while the other one is meant for the bedroom. So you wear your lingerie to be sexy, so what's the bikini for? It just seems natural that you'd want to look sexy in that too. I know I would. Sexiness, hotness, whatever, IS power, and can be used destructively. We have a power over men whether we realize it or not. That has even been said by general authorities. If a girl wears a bikini, I guarantee you men who look at her will be checking out her boobs, her butt and imagining a whole lot more, and even though it isn't our responsibility, like you said, to dress for men, we should be conscious of our power over them and our affect and maybe take that into consideration when dressing ourselves. We SHOULD be thinking of others and not just ourselves. There is nothing wrong with putting something back in the closet because you know that you will be around men and it is revealing.
      4. My last and final thing I have to say. I'm freaking excited for you to get married tomorrow and you BETTER feel powerful in that lingerie you have! Girl, Dallas is gonna lose his mind when he sees you...you might want to have a medical team on standby in case he loses consciousness

      Delete