Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Disconnect Challenge

There's been something weighing heavily on my mind lately. My troubles with housecleaning, patience, and simply finding time to get things done always seem to point in one direction...right to the couch where my Mac laptop sits quietly and innocently on its cushion.

"How can a laptop cause the pile of laundry waiting to be folded?" you say, "What does being on the computer have to do with getting the dishes done" you ask.

don't they look just so happy?


Well, I'll tell you! Ever notice that as soon as you get a smidgeon of free time, you instantly go to the laptop, the ipad, or your smartphone? I know I do!

As soon as sweet little Savannah lays her obedient little head on her pillow (SNORT!) and goes to sleep (double SNORT) I plop my lazy butt on the couch and open up my friend. I even catch myself doing it when baby girl is playing on the floor at my feet.

sometimes i sneak candy crush on my phone behind her back when she's not looking.

i've even gone as far as distracting her with tempting toys and snacks so that I could cruise facebook just a moment longer.

hey, I can stop anytime I want!

all jokes aside, I'm discovering that the computer or even the phone can take precious moments away from my daughter. When she looks at me on my computer, what does she think? Am I setting both of us up for a bad relationship or the inability to connect emotionally simply because Farm Heroes Saga is a fun game?

I say all the time that my kids won't ever sit playing video games all day, and when I was a kid WE play OUTSIDE....and then I sit down on my Mac and finish stalking someone who I haven't seen in five years and will probably never see again. Hypocritical? um, yeah. What is stopping me from taking Savannah outside myself...it may be cold but there is such thing as a coat.

I am setting the example right now, and I'm ashamed to say, it's not a good one.

Not only that, but am I turning my child into an addict? Addiction runs in my family, but I've always been proud that I've managed to keep it out of my life...but have I really? Maybe I'm addicted to something that seems less menacing.

This is an interesting article about how parents' use of the computer, phone, or ipad can affect their lives as well as their children.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother-tongue/9280194/Mobile-addict-parents-guilty-of-child-neglect-warns-psychologist.html

Here's another!

http://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/Pages/Media-and-Children.aspx

I could give you a dozen more.

Well, enough is enough!

It's time for a good ol' detoxification. I'm going to go an entire week without using my computer once. I'm going to turn it off, and put it away so it's out of sight and out of mind. It's gonna be hard. I keep trying to justify just having it when she goes to bed or just for a tv show, but in order for this to work, I have to totally disconnect. So you won't hear from me on Facebook, won't be getting any pics of Savannah...I know, you don't see enough of them! I will be using my phone for calls and texts and that's all. Bryce is joining me, except he is eliminating Netflix and Facebook as well as his favorite websites. He still has to use his computer for school but it will solely be for homework. Come next Tuesday I will post another blog report on, hopefully, what has changed.

Wish me luck! cause this is gonna be a tough one. As of right now, I'm entering The Disconnect Challenge. Feel free to join me and see how your life changes!

2 comments:

  1. You're going to find a reason to need your computer, I bet you $10. I love you.. but I know I would never be able to go a week without my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration Haylee Mae! I should try this too. I'm not as addicted as some, but I am enough that it worries me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete